Friday 7 September 2007

1 week down

That's the first week of being a writer done, over 15,000 words and about two and a half chapters done, not bad really, I'm certainly quite happy with it. Chapters 10 and 11 turned out to be bizarrely long, over 7000 words each, most of the others sit in the low 5000s.

This could be down to me having more time and so being able to take my time with them. It could be because I'm currently reading Tigana which has a long flowing style, and I might be absorbing it. Or it might just be down to the content of those two chapters, chapter 12 is already looking to be much shorter.

The 28 chapter divisions are fairly arbitrary anyway, it is quite difficult to estimate from my notes how long each one will turn out to be. Especially as I'm now moving further away from editing existing text into writing completely new text as this draft changes from the previous one. I'm definitely going to keep the chapter divisions as they currently are in this writing process, then review them when I get to editing draft 8.

Oh won't that be fun...

No comments: